A Cluster of Hot Topics in Islam
Instructor: Ahmad ‘Alī al-‘Adanī
Course Format: 12 downloadable sessions; 3 live sessions
Starts On: 4 March 2013
Length: 12 weeks (= 1 term)
Course ID: GS1b-1/2013
Faculty: General Studies
“A unique course which deals with a basket of fiercely debated topics among contemporary Muslims”
In this course, participants will explore a number of topics which have attracted a lot of argumentation and controversy within present-day Muslim circles.
It will be done in a coolly detached and scholarly objective way as opposed to the usual emotional one.
Extracts from authoritative and reliable texts (Qur’ān, hadīth-literature, juristic writings, works on usūl al-fiqh) will be utilized, as well as contributions on the subjects by modern polemics.
The classical legacy will be linked to contemporary contextualization, and workable solutions for the here and now will be put forward on an interactive basis wherever possible.
The details of this course, an alternative to the option coded GS1a-1/2013 and called “Islamic Sciences – An Overview” are self-explanatory.
• Armed warfare in Islam: Scope and conditions
• The thorny issue of the niqāb
• Meat slaughtered by non-Muslims, including Ahl al-Kitāb
• Sports and professional sport competitions
• The social contract and the birth of the State: Is that sanctioned by Islam?
• Group dhikr and the sacred dance (hadrah)
• Demonstrations against a Muslim authority
• The approach to the Shī`ah
• Slavery in Islam
• Taking by a single madhhab
Requirements & Prerequisites
Be calm and collected.
The 3 live sessions are held after the 4th, 8th and 12th lessons respectively.